A very tasty dish that will take you about 60 – 75 minutes to cook from the beginning until everything is on the table. 45 minutes of this time is in the oven and fixing itself while you do something else 🙂
This dish has many ingredients but is still easy to cook, and if you don’t have everything at home – use your imagination and what you have available.
Ingredients for 4 people
- for chicken steaks (chicken legs with bone removed and skin and fat still on it)
- 1 eggplant
- 1 large red onion
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 fennel
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 dl chicken broth (preferably homemade bone broth if you have at home)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp super salt
Spice mix for the chicken
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp bellpepper powder (preferably smoked if you have)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly grinded pepper
Here comes some suggestions for additions you can make if you want to more variation
Fresh coriander is a real watershed – either you love it or you hate it. If you are one of those who like fresh coriander, feel free to put it on the finished dish. If you wish, you can also toast pine nuts, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds to drizzle over the finished dish. Nothing essential for the dish but shows you how you can think and vary if you feel like it 🙂
For example, if you want to serve something more, you can make cauliflower rice. This is not necessary, but can stretch the dish if everybody having the meal are not fully into the roasted veggies.
If you want some cold sauce with it (an excellent addition for extra fat if needed), you can take some of the spicemix aside before mixing it with olive oil and then take what you put aside and blend with a mayonnaise (dairyfree) or a full fat yogurt/smetana (if you eat dairies).
Here’s what to do:
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius hot air and bring out a large ovenproof dish to cook and serve in.
- Start by mixing the spice mixture and spread out on your chicken steaks – both on the skin and meat side. Leave it on a plate or bowl to marinate while you fix the vegetables.
- Cut the aubergine into cubes about 2×2 cm and place in the bottom of the ovenproof dish
- Clean and wash the fennel and cut it into shredders/boats that you also place in the ovenproof dish
- Cut the red onion into wedges and add to the pan
- Also cut the lemon into wedges and add to the pan
- Mix the broth, vinegar and olive oil together with salt and pour over the vegetables
- Mix around and distribute the tomatoes and garlic cloves on top of the vegetables
- Fold each chicken steak so that the meat rests inwards and the skin turns outwards. Place at the top of the pan
- Now place in the middle of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes. The skin will be bubbly, brittle and crispy.
- Mix any sauce you want to serve and fix cauliflower rice if you want to serve that as well (not necessary)
- Potentially add coriander and pine nuts to the dish
- Serve and enjoy a tasty meal