A recurring favorite in our home are these tasty nuggets with Italian flavors.
Nuggets are, to put it sipmle, chicken pieces “breaded” with grated Parmesan, salt and pepper, then fried to crust with butter i a frying pan to finish off in the oven until ready.
With that a home-made tomato sauce, zucchini pasta and/or salad sits very well
The best nuggets you get fowl that has been allowed to grow slowly and over longer time than the usual industrial chicken (which is on average just a bit more that 30 days old when they enter the process of becoming meat on the table).
We prefer to cut chicken thigh fillet into pieces (2-3 pieces per fillet) and use that as the base for our nuggets. We also keep the skin and fat on the chicken. That just makes it even tastier.
The best way to start – if you want to eat with tomato sauce – is with the tomato sauce
- 700g crushed tomatoes
- 2 pressed or finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- A handful of chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2dl olive oil
- 1 tbsp concentrated tomato puree
- Start by chopping onions and garlic
- Fry in casserole with olive oil until the onion is glossy without colour
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree and bring to boil.
- Add salt and basil and cook on a low temperature while preparing your your nuggets
Nuggets 4 servings :
- 700 – 800g chicken without bone
- 200g parmesan – finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- butter to fry
- Grate parmesan cheese finely
- Bring out 2 deep plates
- Crack the eggs into one, put in 1 tbsp of water and whisk up by hand with a fork.
- Place grated Parmesan, salt and pepper in the other deep plate
- Cut the chicken into pieces – chicken thigh fillet can be conveniently divided into 2-3 pieces depending on size
- First flip the chicken in the eggs and then in parmesan.
- Place the pieces on the cutting board until all the pieces are “breaded” with parmesan
- Melt butter in a frying pan and place some of the pieces on the pan to fry on medium – high temperature
- Once the base has a fried crunchy surface, you flip the pieces so that they get golden brown fried surface on the other side as well
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celcius and place the chicken pieces in a pan to cook in the oven till they are ready all the way through
- Add new butter to the frying pan and add a new batch of chicken.
- Continue until all the chicken pieces have a frying surface and the last batch can finish frying on the frying pan.
zucchinizoodles can be found here if you want to have that with the meal.
Otherwise, it is perfectly OK to serve nuggets and tomato sauce with a sallad and then just have some carrot, tomato and cucumber on the side. Very child-friendly